[vortex] WakeOnLan with 3c905C-TX-M

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Jun 14 18:07:00 2002

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Ing. Simanek Milan zam wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Donald Becker wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Ing. Simanek Milan zam wrote:
> > > I am trying to power on my PC using WakeOnLan feature, but the lan card
> > > does not receive WOL frames. When I power off computer, all leds on the
> > > card turn off and nothing else happens.
> >
> > This indicates that the driver didn't leave the card in D3-warm state.
> > Does the driver at
> >    http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> >       ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/3c59x.c
> > fix the problem?
>
> No. The driver from this page does not work, too. All leds are off and net
> card seems to be without power.
>
> May be I do something wrong: I power off my PC using /sbin/poweroff
> command. In /etc/modules.conf I have options for 3c95x: debug=3 (for the
> kernel-distribution driver I've added enable_wol=1, but this driver does
> not support enable_wol option.) I have no other special settings.
> Is it correct?
>
> I've added some extra debug info into the driver. It seems, that functions
> pwr_event nor cleanup_module are never been called. The kernel calls only
> vortex_close() but NOT cleanup_mdule(). Is it correct? I don't think so.
> The function cleanup_module contains WOL related code (e.g. acpi_set_WOL).

Ahhh, good debugging.
The distribution you are using must remove the module during shutdown to
set the card to WOL mode.

If you try this by hand, comment out the 3c59x line in
/etc/modules.conf and then remove the 3c59x module.  If you don't do
this, the 'ifconfig eth0 down' line will re-load the module.