[vortex] 3c905c auto negotiation

Paul Meyers paulm@medent.com
Thu Jul 25 15:32:01 2002

Hello,
I am having a bit of trouble with my 3c905c's , about 4 of my 10 servers run poorly (about 15 mips throughput) when my hp switch (j4813a) is set to auto (the switch status indicates 100fdx). The only way I can get them up to 100 mips is by setting the switch to forced 100Hdx. For some reason mii-tools doesnt on these cards, maybe because they are add on (not hard coded into bios).
The built in nic in these servers (amd or intel cards) , auto works fine (and mii-tools for that matter)
I called hp, all our firmware is ok, and they are unaware of any linux 3com issues... apparently I have a magic combination problem, and to top it off, it only effects some 3com (3c905c and 3c905b) cards.
If there is any debug info,etc, I can provide, please let me know...

Thank You.

Paul Meyers
Systems Administrator
Community Computer Service
voice:315-255-0900 fax: 315-255-0416
paulm@medent.com
        Sent via WebMail @ <mail.medent.com>

  Incoming/Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free!
        Checked by Symantec Carrier-Scan.