[vortex] Problem with built-in dual 3c982, Dual AMD S2462 MB.

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Jan 19 08:26:00 2002

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Heflin, Roger A. wrote:

> We have confirmed that noapic is now turned on, noapic did
> improve things, it appears that the situation is probably 10
> times better, but is still a significant problem.

Could you also please try with the 3c59x driver which comes with the
kernel (still running in "noapic" mode) ? It doesn't have the improved
"polling mode" Tx path that Scyld's driver has, but it should be stable
nontheless.

> If someone with proper skills is willing to try to work...

I'm sorry, I don't have the time; yesterday I was able to find an
afternoon to look over code and docs for the EEPROM problem, but that was
a very rare exception...

> And from what I can tell all of the recent tyan dual
> cpu AMD boards S2462 with the 3com's on them
> seem to  do this.

Maurice had problems with the board even with Windows. OTOH Don's
experience is a good one; also I seem to remember that on the beowulf list
several people said that they are using this board, however there was no
complaint about network adapters...