[vortex] Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 Dual 3c59x

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jan 16 13:35:01 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Maurice Hilarius wrote:

> We installed a 3C982 card today on a Tyan TigerMP ( same chipset as Thunder)
> It was behaving as you described.

OTOH, the 3C905C works perfectly with the TigerMP board (I have 16 of
them) with 2.4.9-13 and (Rawhide) 2.4.16-something from Red Hat; I haven't
tried any 2.2 kernels on them.

I don't have any idea about what could go wrong.. So could you post the
content of /proc/net/dev and /proc/interrupts ? Could you run "vmstat 1"
while the transfers take place and report anything unusual w.r.t. when
the system is idle (too many of too few interrupts, context switches,
etc.) ? Is there any suspicious CPU load while the network is used ? Apart
from the transmit timeouts, are there any other network driver related
messages in the logs or in output from "dmesg" ?

Maurice, what did you connect at the other end of the cable ? A Cisco
switch by any chance ?

Have any of you tried to run something else than Linux using this
combination (to eliminate hardware problems) ?