[vortex] Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 Dual 3c59x

Martin Siegert siegert@sfu.ca
Tue Jan 15 15:28:01 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 09:09:53PM +0100, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> Well, I have no ideea if this is one chip with two adapters on it or there
> are 2 chips.

There are two chips on the motherboard (visual inspection :-) both say 920.
Now I don't know whether a 3c982 card actually would also have two chips
on it.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 02:08:12PM -0600, Heflin, Roger A. wrote:

> Be very sure, on ours the ports appeared to work correctly with the 3com
> driver,
> under further testing, the 3com driver is doing something wrong and
> working much
> slower that it should be.   Things were not noticable under normal
> network use,
> under NFS with the client running sync and the server running async the
> write speed
> is about 10x slower on a S2562 machine (client) vs. any other machine we
> have with Intel
> EEPRO ethernet cards.  This was tested using the same server machine for
> both
> machines.

I have compared the 3com driver (version 1.0.0i) with the 3c59x driver
a while back (http://www.sfu.ca/acs/cluster/nic-test.html) with the
2.2.16 kernel. At that time the 90x driver was so much worse (particularly
with upd) than the 3c59x driver (besides not supporting channel bonding)
that I never used it again. Your note indicates that this is probably
still correct.

Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert@sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6