[vortex] Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 Dual 3c59x

Martin Siegert siegert@sfu.ca
Tue Jan 15 15:05:28 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 02:12:53PM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:

> Hmmm, perhaps I made an incorrect assumption.
> I was guessing that the first was a PCI plug-in card, while the only the
> second was on the motherboard.
>
> Are both of these on the motherboard?  Both use a Tyan subsystem ID.
>
> If both are on the motherboard, they should both have the same PCI ID.
>
> Note the "982" ID first showed up on a dual port card.  I assumed that
> it meant "980" with "2" ports.  There have been reports that "982" has
> been used with single port server boards as well.
>
> The problem vortex-diag has with reading the EEPROM is likely that the
> board design is missing a bias resistor that allow the driver to figure
> out the serial EEPROM address size, 6 or 8 bits.  If it's on a
> Tyan-designed motherboard, it's very likely that Tyan skipped that
> section on the hardware design guide because they didn't understand why
> the resistor was needed.

Both of these NICs are definitely on the motherboard and since both are
working fine with all the boards I'm having I suspect that something
is wrong with that particular board that Kirk got.

The Tyan web site(http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html)
actually says that the on board NICs are 3c920 (that's also what the
Thunder K7 user's manual says), however a search on the 3com site doesn't
turn up anything about 3c920.

Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert@sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6