[vortex] 3c905 hanging when network load is high

Markus Schaub markus.schaub@gmx.net
Sat Jan 12 10:03:00 2002

Am 11 Jan 2002 schrieb Bogdan Costescu:
> > Sorry, I forgot that. There are no error messages.
>
> Another idea might be "lost interrupts"; because the CPU is slow and the
> disk accesses also generate lots of interrupts, it may be possible that
> some interrupt requests are lost. In this case, the timer that checks
> media status will call the interrupt routine (normally once per minute)
> and some packets (a full ring normally) will be processed.

Looks like this happens here.
But in my mind, it should go away automatically in this case, as the
disk doesn't generate any more interrupts when the network is slow?

> > The HDD is slowing down the network to 1,5-3 MB/s. Maybe that helps.
>
> Well, you can separate disk and network transfer by copying files to
> /dev/null or from /dev/zero.

I was't able to reproduce the error by copying files from the server
to another machine. So how can I copy a file from the client to
/dev/null on the server via NFS?

Markus