[vortex] Re: [3c509] Question about Half-Duplex negotiation

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Jan 10 17:53:01 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Bill Cattey wrote:

> To: 3c509@scyld.com
> Subject: [3c509] Question about Half-Duplex negotiation

Note that this is the 3c509 list, for the ISA '509 card.
You want the 'vortex' list, for the PCI cards.

I've Cc:ed this to the vortex list.

> Eventually we traced the problem to the fact that the machine
> had somehow came through the autonegotiation with our subnet
> to attempt to speak half-duplex to our full duplex port.

The typical problem is that the switch port is forced to full duplex.

> (The way I determined this was to have our network operations folks look
> at what I was doing and then use mii-diag to force full duplex, and
> watch that make the problem go away.  Interestingly testing two other
> identical
> GX150's on the same subnet turned up one working fine, and another one
> that had problems till we told it BE full duplex.)
>
> The driver I'm running is:
>
> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> 02:0c.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at 0xec80. Vers LK1.1.16
>
> (Mind you, the next line in dmesg output said:
>   ***WARNING*** No MII transceivers found!

That's a bad message -- there could be a timing issue at work here.

Try the alternate 3c59x.c driver updates at
   http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
      ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/3c59x.c

> bash-2.04# ./vortex-diag -a -v
> vortex-diag.c:v2.05 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a 3c905C Tornado 100baseTx adapter at 0xec80.
> Saved EEPROM settings of a 3Com Vortex/Boomerang:
>  3Com Node Address 00:06:5B:47:D0:78 (used as a unique ID only).
>  OEM Station address 00:06:5B:47:D0:78 (used as the ethernet address).
>  Manufacture date (MM/DD/YYYY) 6/10/2000, division , product .

Hmmm, this appears to be a rather old card -- produced just about the
time when the first "Cx" chip was released.

>  MII PHY found at address 1, status 0024.
>  MII PHY found at address 2, status 0024.
>  MII PHY found at address 3, status 0024.
>  MII PHY found at address 4, status 0024.

It really does appear to be an early "Cx" board, with bogus transceiver