[vortex] 3c905 hanging when network load is high

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jan 9 12:00:02 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Markus Schaub wrote:

> I experienced a problem with my 3c905c when transfering large/many
> files over NFS/FTP to/from my server. All works well (sometimes up to
> 50MB) but suddenly the whole network transfer to/from the server
> stops. Every 30-40 second some bits go through the line, so it is
> possible to reactivate the network with a "ifconfig eth0 down;
> ifconfig eth0 up" via ssh.

Could you please look in the logs an the output of 'dmesg' and see if
there are any error messages ?

> Pentium 100 PC

... this might also be a problem as not beeing able to keep up with the
thansfer.

> 100MBit on a hubbed network

I would first check the media settings using mii-diag (from
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag); there are chances that there is a duplex
mismatch.

>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 80, IRQ 12

I don't think that I've ever seen a latency of 80. For all the computers
that I've seen it was a power of 2 (like 32 of 64). But I think that 80 is
a legal value so not to worry too much about it...