[vortex] Test results with 3c90xcfg -- I'M CONFUSED!

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Feb 20 06:48:01 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Bill Cattey wrote:

> Am I right in believing that I've produced sufficient test data that
> a revised 3c59x that works around this problem can be crafted?

Short answer: No 8-(

Long answer: Using the setup sequence present in 3c59x (which I think it's
a good one according to the documentation that I have) the MII registers
seem not to be accessible if EEPROM on your cards does not contain
NWAY/Autonegotiate. The documentation doesn't say a word about this
situation; it says that on Cyclone and later chips (yours included) the
MII interface with NWAY capabilities is always present as it's integrated
on the chip, as opposed to older designs where it was an external chip.
So, my guess is that either there is a magic sequence that can make the
MII registers available (which we don't know) or that the media management
in this case is not done through MII registers but through the older
mechanism which involved writting to other registers in the chip; the
third possibility - that I'm missing something - can also be taken into
consideration... 8-)