[vortex] GX150: Test results with Dell 3c90x-102 driver.

Bill Cattey wdc@MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 12 19:37:01 2002

Dell sent me a candidate driver to test.  I mentioned I'd pass along the
test results.  Summary: This driver handles this chip more poorly than
the 1.16 3c59x did.

Problems:

1. The default configuration for the driver is to not enable ANY media.
(This is a rather silly default, but easily remedied.)

2. Setting the media=7 option, to enable auto-select results in a worse
failure than we currently experience.  (Our current failure with the
existing default RedHat 3c59x driver is that some systems end up
with 6Kbytes/sec throughput instead of 100Mbits/sec on a 100Base-T
network.  The auto-select option with your driver seems to start
the network.  There is a status report in dmesg, and ifconfig shows
a working network.  But NO data can be received or sent.)

3. Setting media=1 option which forces 10Base-T DOES result in
a working network.

----

Oh well, back to the drawing board.  :-)

-wdc