[vortex] receive FIFO errors on vortex ethernet cards

Heflin, Roger A. Roger.A.Heflin@conoco.com
Wed Aug 21 16:55:01 2002

The vortex motherboards are Tyan S2462 motherboards, they are build
in, there are no other PCI cards on the motherboards, and only 1 of the
2 build-in networks is being used.

The eepro motherboards are a couple of different major types, one
is the standard 440BX/GX motherboard with a card in a PCI slot
(these are at least two different manufacturers-ASUS,Supermicro)
and the other is a Serverworks LE/HE board with a build-in
eepro both

A few are 440BX/GX with intels dual eepro100 card build in

The tyan S2462's seem to be pretty consistantly getting these
errors (almost all of these have fair numbers of errors on them),
the 440BX/GX some are getting the errors quite a few
have not got any errors of this sort at all in the last 2 weeks.
A few of the serverworks machines are getting a few errors
(we have supermicro, and tyan here, the supermicro's appear
to have alot less of this error than the tyans),
and quite a number of them are getting no errors at all,
and 2-5 are getting 2-3 orders of magnitue more than
others that are only getting a few errors.

I am still checking the data to see if anything clears up
exactly what I am seeing, I am going to process the data
and see if traffic load has something to do with it.

			Roger