[vortex] Re: 3C905C-TX-M vs 3C905CX-TXM

Ruben van der Leij ruben@blacklisted.nl
Wed Aug 21 06:16:01 2002

+++ Bogdan Costescu [21/08/02 00:52 +0200]:

> From what I can see, the big chip labeled "Pulse" is missing in the forged
> board. I wonder how it can work without it...

That big 'chip' is a isolation-transformer. What it does is keeping any
noise from the network out of your PC, and protect it against incidents.

If somebody connects the cable from your PC to a ISDN (which typically uses
the same RJ-45 connectors) this card and its lack of galvanic separation
will cause instant death to your PC.

--
Ruben van der Leij

Death wish, n.:
	The only wish that always comes true, whether or not one wishes it to.