[vortex] Auto-negotiation with different models of 3c59x

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 15 10:23:01 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Ingo Reise wrote:

> But the machines with the more recent cards "model 23 rev. 6/7" show low to
> very low (0.025 MByte/s) transfer rates. Some research gave me a relation to
> the Auto-negotiation feature. No completed Auto-negotiation -> no performance

Good diagnostic :-)

>     Able to perform Auto-negotiation, negotiation not complete.
>   Your link partner does not do autonegotiation, and this transceiver type
>    does not report the sensed link speed.
>   I'm advertising 05e1: Flow-control 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD 10baseT
>     Advertising no additional info pages.
>     IEEE 802.3 CSMA/CD protocol.
>   Link partner capability is 0000:.
>     Negotiation did not complete.

That's bad. The transceiver doesn't receive any information about what the
other end (the switch) is capable of. If the switch would be manageable
I'd say that Full-Duplex was forced on it.

> My link partner is a netgear FS108 switch. It does autonegotiation with the
> older cards, so i don't think the problem is on that side.

You could try 'mii-diag -r' or 'mii-diag -R' to see if anything changes.
After each of them wait at least a minute before looking for the result.

> On a machine running SuSE 7.3 (2.4.10) a model 23 rev 6-card runs without
> problems.

So it's a problem with the driver ? Strange...