[vortex] Re: 3c59x Linux-2.4 PCI bus error/Host error

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Aug 9 07:31:01 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Anup Pemmaiah wrote:

> I tried with the 3c59x driver from the scyld website. But no luck. I got the
> same host error with the same status in all the corresponding registers.
> When my linux boots up, the 3c59x module gets installed during the start
> up(I think it is statically compiled with the kernel. Because I removed all

You cannot use a driver statically compiled into the kernel
with a driver module for the same device, unless you _really_ understand
what the driver is doing.

Build a kernel without a built-in driver, and then try the driver module..

> >>     When I checked the reason for the Host error in the FIFO
> >> doagnostic register where the 13th bit is set, it states that the
> >> interrupt was generated because of "rxUnderrun".Since the reason it
> >> states that the "Host is trying to read from the receive FIFO faster
> >> than the network can fill it and therefore the host reads invalid
> >> data", should I reduce the reading speed of the Host?
> >
> >This error can only occur when the host is using programmed-I/O to read
> >the data from the NIC.  The driver you are using should be using
> >the bus-master capability, and never reading from the Rx FIFO.

My guess is that both drivers are trying to read from the card
simultaneously.