[vortex] no connection using 3c589_cs (Etherlink III pcmcia card)

Oliver Kaiser skybound@inbox.lv
Thu Aug 8 06:22:01 2002

hi,

a few days ago my network card stopped working, without me making any
config changes (or wreaking havoc on my hardware).

i am using debian woody with kernel 2.4.18.
the card is detected while booting, cardmgr and cardctl show the same
(correct) configuration. the 3c589_cs module gets loaded and used,
ifconfig registers eth0 as up and all looks well.

unfortunately i can neither ping from nor to my notebook.
the led on the port replicator lits up, the led on the hub is OFF
(sometimes blinking).
replacing the tp cable did not help.

tcpdumping on it and another host in the subnet shows that the arp
queries from the notebook never reach the network and vice versa.

playing around with insmod param "if_port" didn't do any good,
"pc_debug" is not accepted (guess i got no debug compiled in). i noticed
some similiar posts on 3com related boards (e.g.
http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-vortex/2002-Jan/0037.html ), but i
don't get why the config should stop working after some month.

if anyone could hint me howto solve/analyse this problem, i'd appreciate
any help.

best regards,
tok