[vortex] 3c556 problems (3Com Mini 10/100 PCI)

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 07:23:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Tim Miller wrote:

> I've got a Daewoo Qrium here with one of these adaptors in it.  Under
> kernel-2.2.19, the adaptor works, with the exception that I cannot
> load the module at boot time-- if I do, the adaptor won't work until
> I rmmod and insmod it again.

Let's try to debug this one first.

Is the transceiver always detected at address #0?  Or only when the
driver fails?  (#0 might be correct for your card, but that address
would usually indicate a physically external transceiver that must be
specially activated, if 3Com followed the MII specs.)

Does
  mii-diag --Reset
restore operation?

> Under 2.4.x (2.4.12 now), it won't work at all.  The module loads
> but the adaptor won't work.  ifconfig shows transmissions but not
> received packets.  kern.log gives e201 messages in interrupt loop.

Interrupt problem.  No interrupts are getting through.  This is a kernel
problem, not a driver problem.