[vortex] 3c905/905B performance problems

Scott Wehrenberg wehresj@mail.auburn.edu
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:58:17 +0200

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 09:25:46PM +0200, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> Ouch. Can you by any chance run the DOS tool from 3Com to check whether
> the EEPROM media setting is "forced full-duplex" ? If so, please set it to
> "auto".

I booted into Windows and then ran the 3com NIC Doctor tool that Windows
installs with the driver and set the card to half-duplex. Upon rebooting
everything works fine. I can set the card to auto-negotiate if you
want to see the results of that too.

> For Boomerang, "options=6" is the recommended one - it will select the MII
> transceiver. One other that should also work is "options=4" which should
> set 100BaseT (regardless of duplex).

I can't ping anyone on the network with options=4

> Use 'mii-diag -F'. Please post your results.

Results of mii-diag after fixing the problem under Windows follow the message.

Thanks for suggesting the 3com utility. Everything seems to be ok now. If
any other information will be helpful, I'll be glad to provide it.

Thanks,
Scott Wehrenberg

--------------------

toast:/home/lftl/bin# ./mii-diag -F 100baseTX
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Setting the speed to "fixed", Control register 2100.
Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  2100 784f 2000 5c01 01e1 0000 0000 0000.
 Basic mode control register 0x2100: Auto-negotiation disabled, with
 Speed fixed at 100 mbps, full-duplex.
 Basic mode status register 0x784f ... 784f.
   Link status: established.
   *** Link Jabber! ***
 Link partner information is not exchanged when in fixed speed mode.
   End of basic transceiver information.

NOTE: vortex-diag still shows the card in Half-duplex after this.

toast:/home/lftl/bin# ./mii-diag -F 10baseT
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Setting the speed to "fixed", Control register 0100.
Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  0100 784b 2000 5c01 01e1 0000 0000 0000.
 Basic mode control register 0x0100: Auto-negotiation disabled, with
 Speed fixed at 10 mbps, full-duplex.
 Basic mode status register 0x784b ... 784d.
   Link status: previously broken, but now reestablished.
   *** Link Jabber! ***
 Link partner information is not exchanged when in fixed speed mode.
   End of basic transceiver information.

NOTE: naturally no network access after this.