[vortex] Twofold problem with setting up 3Com PCI 3c900 Cyclone 10Mbps TPO in RedHat 6.1 system, updated to kernel 2.4.X.

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Sat, 19 May 2001 14:29:25 +1000

Martijn Ras wrote:

> Heya Folks,
>
> My RedHat 6.1 system originally used kernel 2.2.12-20, at first i
> updated to kernel 2.2.16. In both kernel's i've not experienced any
> problems.

It *looks* OK. It'll just autonegotiate.

There seems to be an occasional problem with kernel 2.4
and some DHCP clients.  Haven't been able to pin it down,
but it seems that the netdevice startup timing has changed
and this breaks older versions of, at least, pump.

We need to eliminate a variable.  Is it the NIC driver,
or is it the DHCP timing problem?

Are you able to test the interface without having a
dependency on DHCP?

Can you please send the vortex-diag and mii-diag output,
as per the final section of Documentation/networking/vortex.txt?

Can you try the following:

- ifconfig eth0 up
- wait five seconds
- `pump eth0' (or dhcpcd).

Some `tcpdump' traces on eth0 while this is happening would be
useful.

Also, does `ifconfig' indicate that frames have been received?