[vortex] 3com 900B not working with mandrake 8.0 (kernel 2.4.3)

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu, 17 May 2001 16:07:33 +0200 (CEST)

[ CC-ed back to vortex@scyld.com ]

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Jacques Steennot wrote:

> My problem is that I get vortex_suspend and vortex_resume in the syslog.
>
> It looks like this:
>
> May 17 15:01:18 mail kernel: vortex_suspend(eth0)
> May 17 15:01:18 mail kernel: vortex_resume(eth0)

Can you send the identification message given by the driver in
/var/log/messages ? (all the 7-8 lines, not only the card name).

These actions are normally associated with power-mode changes. Do you have
any kind of power management system enabled (APM, ACPI) ? Can you try to
disable it ?

> This causes to crash the network connection to another mailserver and it
> happens after 1 hour or so.  Then I have to restart sendmail.

I don't quite understand this. If the driver is resumed, it should operate
again, with the same settings (f.e. IP) so, apart from some lost packets
(if any), there shouldn't be any side effect.

Sincerely,