[vortex] Using WOL for other purposes...

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 4 May 2001 17:56:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Joshua Stillerman wrote:

> Does anyone know how to enable the WOL function of a 3c905C-TX card
> regardless of the CPU/powersupply/bus state?  I am hoping to implement a
> 'Reset on Lan' function by attaching the WOL signal to the reset switch
> of the computer via a relay. (On my PRIVATE NETWORK!)  I am trying to do
> this in a way that does not depend on the state (happiness) of the
> operating system running on the computer.

Nope, can't be done.  If it could be done, the cluster people would be
all over it.

The WOL circuitry is only enabled when the chip is set to ACPI D3-warm
state.  When the card is configured to receive normal packet it's in D0
state.

The only way to do what you want is with a management co-processor on
the motherboard connected by a System Management Bus to a special
version of the 3c905C card that has a SMBus connector.