[vortex] vortex-diag and the dreaded force-full-duplex bit

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:08:11 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Koos van den Hout wrote:

> which is at the moment unfortunately set to force-full-duplex.

I assume that you mean that the EEPROM settings are "force full-duplex".

> For as far as I can find from the source of vortex-diag, it cannot
> disable that bit in the setup. I'd really like to do it from vortex-diag
> to avoid a lengthy reboot.

vortex-diag might be convinced to write the EEPROM so that you can modify
the media settings. However, you might find it easier to just use the 3Com
DOS-based utility (if you haven't received any floppy/CD, you can download
it from www.3com.com).

Another option would be to force media setting as a module option and
disabling full-duplex this way.

> Would an update to vortex-diag.c be possible that can disable/enable the
> force-full-duplex bit on the card ?

The code for writting EEPROM (not specifically for this media setting) is
already there, IIRC, but it's commented out. Read the recent archives of
this list to find out why!

Sincerely,