[vortex] 3Com PCI 3c556 ethernet hangs after resume

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:52:40 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Roman Maeder wrote:
> >
> > I installed Wolverine (RedHat 7.1 beta) on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with
> > the mini-PCI ethernet/modem combo, and the driver loads and works fine
> >
> > 3c59x.c:LK1.1.12 06 Jan 2000  Donald Becker and others. http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html $Revision: 1.102.2.46 $
> > after suspend/resume, however, the card is dead (LEDs dark) and the network
> > becomes unreachable. Here are the relevent syslog msgs before and after
> > resume:
>
> Yes.  Sorry, we don't know how to make this NIC work right
> with PM resumes.  I think Donald hinted that he was getting
> a datasheet, so I'm watching his ftp server with interest.

The approach I'm taking is adding power management (APM, not ACPI)
support at the pci-scan level.  The prototype code is in the test
directory
  ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/test/pci-scan.c
  ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/test/pci-apm.c

The current plan is to test this on an IBM a20m with the 3Com mini-PCI
card.  I was going to borrow the machine before its delivered to Karen, its
real user. However that machine hasn't yet been built :-< by IBM.
The previous laptops were ordered without Ethernet adapters ("we saw
that you already had plenty of Ethernet cards that we could use").