[vortex] 3Com PCI 3c556 ethernet hangs after resume

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:08:45 +1100

Roman Maeder wrote:

> I installed Wolverine (RedHat 7.1 beta) on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with
> the mini-PCI ethernet/modem combo, and the driver loads and works fine
>
> 3c59x.c:LK1.1.12 06 Jan 2000  Donald Becker and others. http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html $Revision: 1.102.2.46 $
> See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
> eth0: 3Com PCI 3c556 Laptop Tornado at 0xd400,  00:01:03:82:f4:3d, IRQ 11
>   product code '' rev 00.0 date 02-10-01
> eth0: CardBus functions mapped fbffd800->cc85f800
>   8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, MII interface.
>   MII transceiver found at address 0, status 7809.
>   Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
> eth0: using default media MII
>
> after suspend/resume, however, the card is dead (LEDs dark) and the network
> becomes unreachable. Here are the relevent syslog msgs before and after
> resume:

Yes.  Sorry, we don't know how to make this NIC work right
with PM resumes.  I think Donald hinted that he was getting
a datasheet, so I'm watching his ftp server with interest.

If you grab the latest driver from 2.4.2-ac15 or
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/#3c59x-2.3 then
you'll find the situation improved - if you
do

	rmmod 3c59x
	modprobe 3c59x

in your power management resume scripts then things
should be happy.

>From memory, this means creating an
/etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmcontinue which looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
rmmod 3c59x
modprobe 3c59x
ifup eth0

but it's been a while since I fiddled with this.  Please
let us know the outcome - if it works I'll update the docs.

Thanks.