[vortex] Mini PCI card question

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:01:10 +1100

Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, fes wrote:
>
> > However, booting to a linux boot disk gives an error, saying that PCI
> > device 10b7,ffff has unknown header ff.  Sounds like I whacked the eeprom
> > or something.
>
> Yes. AFAIK, the NIC needs info from EEPROM to initialize. The best ideea
> is to use the vortex-diag tool with another similar card and copy the
> content of the EEPROM.

I've got a bad feeling that vortex-diag will throw
its hands up in horror and say it can't find a
card.

If you can work out the card's base address with, say,
cat /proc/pci then you can force vortex-diag to believe
that there's a card at a particular address with

	vortex-diag -p 0xNNNN

I've only used vortex-diag to write an EEPROM once, and
I found it quite tricky to use.  But I guess you
can't make things worse :)

I suggest you run `vortex-diag -p 0xNNNN -aaee' and send
the output here.  We'll see if we can think up a command
which will save this NIC.