[vortex] Problem with 3com 10/100 Mini PCI adapter (3c556B?) under 2.2.19

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 05 Jul 2001 16:26:46 +1000

"Akihiko YAMAMOTO ($B;3K\L@I'(B)" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Please allow me to post a long e-mail.
>
> I'm using a Linux on my laptop PC described below and I've been
> struggling with the problem that the 3Com Internal Ethernet
> Adapter on my PC doesn't work with Linux. I confirmed this
> adapter works properly under Windows ME.

We may be barking up the wrong tree here.  Your autonegotiation
has failed, possibly because the transceiver is powered down, or
is powered up at the wrong time.

Could you please try forcing autonegotiation via

	modprobe 3c59x options=8

And also try some of the other options as described in
Documentation/networking/vortex.txt.  Particularly 4 and
9.