[vortex] mini-PCI problems

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 17:07:17 +1000

Richard Paul Glenn wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I'm new to the list so please forgive me if you all have
> answered this question a million times.
>
> We have just received 42 new Dell 800c Latitude laptops.  We
> are starting to use ZenWorks3 which uses a linux partition
> to do it's imaging.  I've compiled the 3c590 linux driver
> and placed it on the Zen disks.  However, when I did this,
> the laptop locked up - it hangs at the Cardmgr prompt.
> (I'm assuming that it's trying to find the NIC in the
> PCMCIA slots).  I have since compiled the 2.2.14 kernel,
> hoping that would work.  I  enabled PnP and the machine
> boots up now, but the driver is still not loading.
>
> When I boot to RedHat 5.1 the NIC works just fine. And the
> os is using the 590 driver.  Any ideas?

There's some missing information here, Paul...

2.2.14 is a rather old kernel.   If you're keen on
compiling your own kernel, I'd suggest that you run
2.2.19.  Also, you'll need the latest stable pcmcia-cs
package from pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net - this is where
2.2 kernels get their Cardbus/PCMCIA support.

Now if it really is a mini-PCI NIC then it won't need
pcmcia-cs at all (although you'll probably still want that
package for other reasons).

The 3c566 and 3c566B mini-PCI NICs should work out-of-the-box
with the 3c59x.c driver in the 2.2.19 tarball.  They are treated
as PCI devices.

But I'd have thought the simplest solution would be to just
grab a recent vendor distribution - redhat 7.x or whatever.