[vortex] networking problems

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:21:02 +1100

Larsson Magnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but ill give it
> a go anyway.

It'll do.

I'm a little surprised at this.  Are you sure there is no `Tx error' message?
Could you please send some more info?

I suggest you add the line

	kern.* /var/log/kernel

to /etc/syslog.conf and restart syslog, just to make sure we get
everything.

Then, please make sure you send all the relevant info from /var/log/kernel
after the problem has occurred.

You say that ifconfig shows errors, what are they?

What sort of network is it?  Hubbed 10baseT?

Does the laptop work OK with other versions of the driver or kernel?

> I have also noticed a warning when I boot that says:
>
> "PCI: No IRQ known for interupt pin A of device 02:00.0. Please try using
> pci=biosirq"
>
> So, I tried to enter "linux pci=biosirq" at the liloprompt
>
> And then I only got the first part of the message:
> "PCI: No IRQ known for interupt pin A of device 02:00.0."
>
> Could this have something to do with it.

That's quite common.  I think it's because the BIOS doesn't
describe to the OS the interrupt assignment of devices
behind the cardbus bridge.  But I haven't looked into it.