[vortex] Problem with Nokia ADSL modem/hub and 3c905

Ville Herva vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:54:32 +0200

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:51:04PM +1100, you [Andrew Morton] claimed:
> Ville Herva wrote:
> >
> I was about to guess that your problem is to do with the interface
> selection logic - with that version of the driver, if it detects loss
> of the 10baseT connection it tries another interface type and gets stuck
> there.
>
> However, removing and reloading the driver should make it work
> again, so something odd is happening.

That's what I figured, too.

The odd thing however is that

1) when I unplug and replug the cable, the link leds go out and stay that
   way.
2) when I boot the ADSL box (and do nothing else, ie. I don't boot the
   linux box nor reinstall the modules), the link leds do _get_ lit, but
   the connections does not work.

> The driver at  http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.c-2.2.19-pre6-1.gz
> has been changed so that when you force it to use a particular interface,
> then it simply does what you said.
>
> (What interfaces does the 3c905A actually have?  I don't know).

If you mean physical interfaces? Actually I'm not 100% sure, but I would
imagine only RJ45.

> Could you please replace the existing 3c59x.c with the above file
> and rebuild the driver.  Then, force it to use the 10baseT
> port with
>
> 	modprobe 3c59x options=0
>
> and then test?

I tried different options (0,2,6 I think, but I'm not sure) with the
2.2.18pre19 3c59x I'm using...

> If that doesn't work then could you please send a full report, along the
> following lines:
>
> 1: load the driver with `modprobe 3c59x debug=7'
> 2: ifup eth0
> 3: wait > one minute
> 4: unplug the interface
> 5: wait > one minute
> 6: reattach the interface
> 7: wait > 1 minute
>
> then send the logfiles along with the mii-diag and vortex-diag
> output when the interface is good and when it's bad.  Instructions
> for this are at http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/vortex.txt
>
> If you can do all this, we'll get it fixed :)

Ok. I'll do it as soon as I get home. I lost the uptime already when I had
to boot yesterday to get the net working ;@/

thanks,

-- v --

v@iki.fi