[vortex] Problem with Nokia ADSL modem/hub and 3c905

Koos van den Hout koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:44:28 +0100

Quoting Ville Herva who wrote on Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:05:44AM +0200:

> While this is most likely a Nokia ADSL box bug, but since I'm unable to
> debug or tweak it, I would be interested to know if there is anything I
> can try at the 3c59x end. It is frustrating to have to boot the linux box
> everytime there is a problem with the ADSL connection.
>
> What might cause this? I'm guessing somekind of duplex negotiation
> failure.
>
> The 3c59x reports autoselect/MII media regardless of whether the
> connection is working or not.

For exact details of what the state of the adapter is, you could try the
vortex-diag util (with libmii!) from http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html

It helped me trace down a duplex problem to a (cheap) switch not
negotiating the link completely with certain 3com cards.

                                           Koos

--
Koos van den Hout,           PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers
koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl        or DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263                        -?)