[vortex] Problem with Nokia ADSL modem/hub and 3c905

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:51:04 +1100

Ville Herva wrote:

> I have a Nokia ADSL modem with 4 10MBit ethernet ports. I have a
> linux 2.2.18 box with one 3c905A connected to it. If I unplug the
> network cable from the Nokia box and try to plug it back, the link leds
> stay off. If If boot the Nokia box, the leds are on, but the connection
> won't work. The Nokia box doesn't answer arp etc. If I now boot the Linux
> machine, everything works again.
>
> I've tried ifuping and ifdowning the interface, rmmodding and insmodding
> the 3c59x module etc, to no avail.

I was about to guess that your problem is to do with the interface
selection logic - with that version of the driver, if it detects loss
of the 10baseT connection it tries another interface type and gets stuck
there.

However, removing and reloading the driver should make it work
again, so something odd is happening.

The driver at  http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.c-2.2.19-pre6-1.gz
has been changed so that when you force it to use a particular interface,
then it simply does what you said.

(What interfaces does the 3c905A actually have?  I don't know).

Could you please replace the existing 3c59x.c with the above file
and rebuild the driver.  Then, force it to use the 10baseT
port with

	modprobe 3c59x options=0

and then test?

If that doesn't work then could you please send a full report, along the
following lines:

1: load the driver with `modprobe 3c59x debug=7'
2: ifup eth0
3: wait > one minute
4: unplug the interface
5: wait > one minute
6: reattach the interface
7: wait > 1 minute

then send the logfiles along with the mii-diag and vortex-diag
output when the interface is good and when it's bad.  Instructions
for this are at http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/vortex.txt

If you can do all this, we'll get it fixed :)

Thanks.