[vortex] Activate debug on 3c59x when not in module (3com 905b)

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:45:07 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Actually, the debug level should probably be hoisted out of
> > the driver altogether - move it to the netdevice layer, give
> > it a standardised ioctl number and manage it with ifconfig.
>
> Stoopid idea.  We need the debug during device probe, when
> the netdevice doesn't exist.

You also want to be able to activate the debug to only one driver (if
several types of cards are installed) and even activate it separately for
several cards supported by the same driver. I can't see how the netdevice
would handle this situation...