[vortex] 3c905B and ping delays

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:49:21 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Piotr Kasprzyk wrote:

> I searched through the archives but found no answer.
> I have linux-2.0.38 with driver 0.99H.

About 2 years ago I used the same combination (well, I think it was
2.0.36, but the changes afterwards were very small) with 3C905B
cards. Under heavy network load, I would sometimes get stalled TCP
connections. Upgrading to the latest driver (0.99L) at that time, solved
most of the problems. I think that Don's drivers are backwards compatible,
so that you can use a recent one (0.99Qk) for your kernel.
http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

> I exchanged the card from
> 3c900 Boomerang to 3c905B and I have sometimes large ping delays
> (about 1000 ms) to the nearest computer on the Ethernet.

How are your computers connected, through a swicth or a hub ?
When this starts to happen, all packets have this delay or only some of
them? If the later is true, how much time (in average) happens between 2
delayed packets ? Are delayed variable between normal value and the large
delay or only the extremes (IOW, do you also get delays of 100, 200, 500
ms, or only 1000 ms) ?
Is there any operation that trigger the appearance of the delayed packets?

> The temporary fix I use is "ifconfig eth0 down" and later
> setup the networking again.

After how much time since boot or the above operation do the delayed
packets appear ?

Sincerely,