[vortex] Wake up on LAN option doesn't work after poweroff

Dr.Tilmann Bubeck bubeck@think-at-work.de
Wed Dec 5 16:10:00 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:23:39 +0100 (CET)
Przemek Wlodarski <pedro@we.tuniv.szczecin.pl> wrote:

> Hello.
> I have Vortex 3 COM 905C card with "wake up on LAN" option. After
> 'poweroff' (or 'halt -p') it is impossible to boot my machine sending
> "wake" packet. I use Linux RedHat 7.2.
> Do you know what to do ?
>
> Best regards

try unloading the kernel module before powering off. You can do this by inserting this lines into /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt:

# turn off eth0, so that wake-on-lan is possible
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
/sbin/rmmod 3c59x

right before this line
  runcmd $"Unmounting proc file system: " umount /proc

At least in RH 7.1 there is a bug in the 3x59x kernel module (known to this list), which prevents wake-on-lan if the module is not unloaded before switching off. If someone needs more information then feel free to contact me.

Till
--
|       | dr. tilmann bubeck               think@work it consulting    |