[vortex] 3c905b stuck in 10Mbit mode

Brian J. Densmore Brian@AMason.net
Mon Dec 3 14:25:01 2001

Sorry,

I wasn't clear. But I was trying to reduce the email.

>> I have also tried:
>> alias eth0 3c90x
>> and the option line below
>> options 3c59x options=0

>That's exactly what I'm talking about: you want to use the 3c90x
>driver,
>but specify options for the 3c59x driver... This won't work!
I used the proper settings. I read all the documentation.
with the alias eth0 3c90x I only options 3c90x and valid options for
that driver

>> and also each of these values too: 1 4 5 6 8 9 and 10 and options
>> debug=3 or debug=7 produces no logging and I'm logging all kern
>> messages

>With the above setup that's no wonder. Please go back to the initial
(?)
>setup with:
I tried all possible configurations, but not all at the same time. I
would try one and restart. Try another and restart, and so one. There
was no change from one configuration to another. I also tried without
any options. One of the setting did cause packet loss. And the debug
options made it run slower, but printed no debug logging!?

>From the vortex- and mii- diag output, I would guess that you have
some
>default media in the EEPROM of the card set to something else than
>autonegotiate. Please use 3Com's DOS utility (3c90xcfg.exe, you should
be
>able to find it on floppies/CD or on 3Com's web site) to set both
speed
>and duplex to "auto" or "N-WAY". Then also set the switch port to
autonegotiation.
>Another solution (not recommended): set the switch to 100Mbit, then
use
module option 4, or even better use "mii-diag -A 100baseTx" or
"mii-diag -F 100baseTx" after loading the module without options.
Tried that option 4 had no effect, mii-diag -A 100baseTx killed the
card and it stopped talking to the switch, had to come in to the coloc
and reboot.
I think you're right it is a board configuration. I will swap it out
with another board I have at home that seems to be working ok.

Thanks,
Brian Densmore