[vortex] 905C: 3c59x unusably slow / 3c90x fine

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:35:26 -0700

Stefan Hoffmeister wrote:

> * 3com's own 3c90x driver handled the situation where the 3c59x driver
>   failed perfectly fine.

This is becoming a problem, particularly if 3com
are shipping shrink-wrapped NICs with these EEPROM
settings.

A lot of people are migrating from 2.2 kernels
with vendor-provided 3c90x over to 2.4+3c59x
and they are getting bitten by this.

I'll sit down and review our interpretation of the EEPROM
bits versus 3com's driver and versus the datasheet.

And yes, I agree that additional documentation is
needed.  It'd probably be useful to blurt out a
warning message at detection time.