[vortex] Port of 3C556 support to OS/2?

Lewis G Rosenthal lgrosenthal@compuserve.com
Sat, 07 Apr 2001 21:50:49 -0400

Thanks for the link, Donald.

> The driver is part of a larger program, not a stand-alone program in its
> own right.  Linking it against a non-GPL OS usually results in a license
> conflict.

I can see that, now. This is a departure, to some extent, from the
standard GPL. It is very clear, though. I had no idea that the driver
was not a standalone work.

> Oh, unless you have the right to distribute the OS/2 source
> code under the GPL, which is very unlikely.

Yeah, right! Everyone in the OS/2 community is screaming at IBM to
OpenSource Warp, and it just ain't gonna happen. Too many BIG IBM
clients pay IBM BIG $$ to provide OS/2 to them (in fact, IBM has so many
installed Warp desktops at their large clients, it is more cost
effective for them to stop advertising OS/2 as a client OS, and only
sell it through their internal channels; I suppose if they had their
way, they'd end up as the only company writing software for OS/2,
effectively cornering the niche - like the ol' mainframe days at IBM).
<sigh> You gotta have a sense of humor with this stuff.

At this point, I'll just go b-tch to 3Com. It's their d-mn card, anyway.
Thanks for your input!
--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA