[vortex] 3Com 3c556B

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:16:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Louis Gerbarg wrote:

> I am unsure if I should be using HAS_MII or HAS_NWAY. Both work. I thought
> that NWAY was only on older cards, and new ones used an MII, but a bunch
> of cards I would have thought were MII based use HAS_NWAY.

If I understood it right, HAS_NWAY refers to the on-chip autonegotiation
logic, while HAS_MII refers to external transceivers. For example, the
Tornado chip (from 905C) has its own internal autonegotiation logic which
supports 10/100baseT in both half- and full-duplex and HAS_NWAY should
be used. It doesn't have AUI and fiber optic support, so a card
manufacturer can decide to put this chip along with its own transceiver
and HAS_MII should be used in this case.
I haven't checked the driver to be sure, but I think that all
autonegotiation modes are protected by something like:
	if (HAS_NWAY || HAS_MII)

Sincerely,