[vortex] eth0: Too much work in interrupt, ...

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:09:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Hamid Reza Shahriari wrote:

> Also I got some messages about insufficient memory from server (not
> kernel).

The memory is used in common by the userland applications and the
kernel; if you run short of memory and the kernel needs to allocate some
(which is the case in the network driver), it will fail. This might
explain the sudden halts. Can you try to increase the RAM size (just
temporarily, by borrowing some memory modules from other computer) and
test again ?

> I increased max_interrupt_work to 32 and 64, and TX_RING_SIZE to 128
> Now it's better, but after two hours the server halts without any kernel
> message. It seems that all interrupts were disabled.

What do you mean by "it's better" : do the messages still appear ? Do you
get better throughput ?

Sincerely,