[vortex] [OT] (slightly) network problems

Rudy Zijlstra rudy@edsons.demon.nl
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 08:05:48 +0200

Hi,

I've been experiencing some network problems for the past weeks.

I've got a server running linux with a 3c900 fast ethernet card
connected to a 10/100 switch, which feeds a autosense hub on which I
have several computers. Thoses computers use a RTL8139 based
ethernetcard.

On the server are (amongst other things) MP3 files. Whenever playing an
MP3 file under Linux I would get hiccups and distortions in the music.
Using a network sniffer (ethereal) I was able to trace this to network
problems. A machine on the same hub running NT would have no problems.

The server runs 2.2.13 with Donalds latest driver.
1 machine is a Alpha XL (288MHz) running Suse 6.1, with latest driver
for 8139, the other a PII at 350MHz.
last night I booted the PII into linux, and tried the same: with the
same disturbing sound effect.
Using SMBFS I get no sound distortion.

SMBFS has some disadvantages:
1. no silent mount
2. no automatic umount
3. no user authorisation left

So my questions becomes:

1. Is this inherent in nfs?
2. Do I still have a network config or hardware problem, that can only
be reproduced using nfs?
3. Is there a better solution than using smbfs.

Regards,

Rudy Zijlstra