[vortex] Can WOL Password be set ??

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:42:42 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 ruben@nutz.nl wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 06:27:20PM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:
>
> > No, the 3Com chips don't support a WOL password.
>
> Which confirms my expectations.
>
> Next thing: You're gonna tell me that one can broad- or multicast a magic
> packet, so that an evil H4x00r can burn out the electrical system of a large
> university by multicasting to all machines, and the inrush-current will take
> care of the rest. Ping. ZAP!

That's annoying, but not a real risk.
The risk is worse: some cards+motherboards can translate Ethernet to SMB
packets, and talk to the system management processor while the machine is
powered soft-off.  The system management processor, in turn, can often do
things such as flash the BIOS.  Cool, eh?  That's what happens when
corporate IT managers tell IBM and Intel "I don't want to find each machine
to update the BIOS", and "What if they are turned off?"