[vortex] Can WOL Password be set ??

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:27:20 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Roland Pabel wrote:

> ether-wake has this option :
> -p <pw>         Append the four or six byte password PW to the packet.
>                         A password is only required for a few adapter types.
>                         The password may be specified in ethernet hex format
>                         or dotted decimal (Internet address)
>
> But I could not find any mentioning of this password in the config
> programs (pci-config, vortex-diag, mii-diag). I have got a 3Com 905C
> "Tornado" network card. WOL works without a password, but can it be
> set ??

No, the 3Com chips don't support a WOL password.

They do support a downloading a wake-up pattern.  A packet that matches the
receive filter and the pattern is treated the same as a WOL magic packet.
The pattern is composed of a list of
  skip-exactly-N-bytes/match-these-M-bytes
so it cannot be used to emulate a WOL Magic Packet with password.

> I don't like the idea of everyone being able to
> power up my computer at any time...just trusted people given the
> password would be fine.

Adding support for the alternate wake-up feature would not be difficult, but
it would be really ugly.  The code to set up the chip is grungy, and the
pattern limitations are difficult to represent in a hardware independent
manner.