3c59x with linuxppc

Andreas Tobler toa@pop.agri.ch
Sat May 6 07:10:51 2000

Hi all,

sorry about the spin_lock noise I made. It was NOT the showstopper.

I reimplemented the patch from Andrew from scratch. Step by step, so I
could find out where it blocks me. Now I have both cards(3c590, 3c905b)
working, at least ping and ftp works.
What was the stopper?
Well, I can't explain it myself, therefor I'd like some explanations
from your side.

In vortex_timer I had the blocker. At the end of the function I put the
following snippet in an if clause as it was before the patch. Doing so,
the machine doesn't hang anymore.

if (next_tick) {					<---- added by me
	vp->timer.expires = RUN_AT(next_tick);
	add_timer(&vp->timer);
}								<---- added by me

For me I see no more problems, of course my view is very small and I do
not have SMP experience.

But one more Q I have, why does this blocks only me with PPC and not the others?

Any hints would be great.

Thanks

Andreas