3c59x with linuxppc

Andreas Tobler toa@pop.agri.ch
Thu May 4 03:17:52 2000

Hi,
short my situation:

I run linuxppc on a PowerMac 7200, the kernel I run is 2215p20. A 3c590
vortex and a 3c905b cyclone are sitting around.
The first(3c590) works with a minor modification with the stock sources,
the second (3c905b) works with no mods.

Now I saw the announcement from Andrew Morton about the patch regarding
the 3c59x.c driver. I applied it to the 2.2 kernel mentioned above. (
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/#3c59x-2.2 )
Booting with the device off, I can do after login a 'ifup ethx' or a
'ifconfig ethx up'.

Oops, nothing works anymore. A freeze occurs where I have to reboot.
Unforunately the freeze doesn't show me any crash dumps.

I put tons of printk's into the whole code. This showed me that I leave
the procedure vortex_open, means it seems to me that I complete the open
routine successfully. Before the ifup I have some more messages which
shows an entry and a leave of the function vortex_get_stats. I don't
know where they are called from.

After the leaving of vortex_open I get some more enter/leave of the
function set_rx_mode. After these messages the freeze occurs.

Annoyingly the messages after the vortex_open doesn't always occur.

I'm already in contact with AndrewM, but he's off this week and I have
some spare time to try solving this problem.

So my question, is this patch working under intel or other Linuxen?
How can I go on debugging it?
I suppose I may have a problem with the spin_lock stuff.
Any other PPC linuxer with the same card?

Thanks for any hint

Andreas