[vortex] Problems with Suse Linux 6.3 and two 3c900 pci adapters

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:06:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Florian Piekert wrote:

> I'm sorry if I'm asking something which is written somewhere, but right now
> I haven't succeeded in finding a solution to my problem anywhere.
> <6>eth1: 3Com 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps Combo at 0xc000,  00:60:97:33:af:e2, IRQ 11
> <6>  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, 10base2 interface.
> which looks pretty good. But the problem is: I can't tell the second adapter
> to use the 10baseT interface. Either I'm too stupid to do so or I haven't

It has been set to use 10base2.  The driver accepts this as the correct
setting.

> found the way to do it. I tried with vortex-diag and the options I can use
> there, but it doesn't change a single thing.

The vortex-diag should be able to set the media type.  You do have to follow
the directions at
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
and carefully read the output to find out how to complete the EEPROM write.
This is a persistent change to the board, so it's not supposed to be easy.

>  I thought normally the adapter should use the correct interface by itself,

That's the "autosense" setting.  You card is set to "10base2" (only).  The
driver is correctly observing the EEPROM setting.

You can override the EEPROM setting with a module option, but you probably
should set the card back to its original setting of "autosense".
   http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Annapolis MD 21403