[vortex] 3C905TX doesn't see 10Mbps hub till unplugged/replugged

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:37:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Bill Newcomb wrote:

> > Can you try insmod/rmmod the 3c59x module and see if the driver starts OK?
> Looks ok, I don't get any error messages (I seem to need to use
> modprobe if pci-scan.o isn't already loaded).

I meant: after insmod, is the network working, or you still need to
unplug/plug the cable to get it working?

> I tried using options=0 (autoselect) and options=6 (MII).  None of the
> other choices seemed appropriate.
>
> I was able to use mii-diag -F 10baseT-HD to get the link to come on
> without unplugging/replugging.  I'd prefer not to incoporate mii-diag
> into the startup scripts, though, especially not hard-coded for
> 10baseT-HD.

I'd like to see the messages issued by the driver when you start it the
first time (after you turn on the computer) and at a later insmod (of
course after a rmmod) from /var/log/messages.

Also, when you unplug/plug the cable, is the card working immediately or
you have to wait some seconds up to a minute to work?
And finally, when you boot the computer, is the LED on before Linux
initialize the network?

Sincerely,