[vortex] Problems with 3com 3c905B - TXNM Fast Etherlink XL PCI

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:41:27 +1000

Luiz Schwartz wrote:

>             Help me!!!!!

That's the best problem report I've ever seen :)

You are using the driver which was published by 3com; this is a quite
separate development from Donald Becker's driver.  I'd be interested in
knowing why RedHat chose to use the 3com driver in 6.x.

Unfortunately not many people here have much knowledge of or experience
with the 3om driver. But I'll have a go.

You say "I receive the error 'No such device'".  Could you provide more
details on this?  Which command is doing this?

I suggest you run the following commands (as root):

ifdown eth0
rmmod 3c90x
modprobe eth0 debug=1
ifup eth0

Then send us the results.  Most of the interesting information will
probably appear in /var/log/messages, so send that as well. If there is
no 3c90x-related output in /var/log/messages then do the following:

edit /etc/syslog.conf and add the line

	kern.* /var/log/kernel

then run

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog restart

then try again.  Look in /var/log/kernel for the debug messages.