[vortex] True on TRANSMIT ERROR TIMEOUT

Daniel Soto Alvarez danisoto@uol.es
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:51:14 +0200

Hi Vidar!

> Daniel Soto Alvarez wrote:
> >
> > The problem are the continuos TRANSMIT ERROR (timeouts) in the network.
> > test the network I make 'ping -t server' in any Windows client, and when
> > 'transmit timeout' occurs I need to manually restart the HUB. With this
the
> > network restart, and we can continue out job. This problem occurs
randomly:
> > days no, days little, days heavy...
> >
> > I have tested with TWO different HUBS (one 100MB x 8 ports / actually
10/100
> > x 8 ports);
>
> What kind of HUB are you using? Using a combined 10/100 HUB is like
> begging for trouble. You should really be using a switch instead. There
> are many reasons for using a switch instead of a plain old HUB nowadays.
> Remember to get a switch with a management module, so you manually kan
> check status and set port parameters (forcing full-duplex).

Yes. My TWO Hubs are soho line, but the new 10/100 are used only
for 100MB NICs at half-duplex.

> You could also try manually setting _all_ your network devices connected
> to the hub to 10baseT half-duplex to see if that changes the situation.
> If it does, your problems most surely is related to the hub, which they
> must surely are anyway.

Obvious I have get this for a time. Actually ALL network cards in
Windows environment are forced to 100/Half. One printer-server
(not a computer, are hardware dedicated) don't have option for force
NIC adapter, and automatically work at 100/Half. But the problem are
much old than this component.

> Oh...BTW: did i remember to advise you to use a switch instead of a
> combined 10/100 hub (?) :-)

With ONLY Windows drivers (I don't have tested with other O.S.'s...
sorry!) We don't have problems. I REPEAT FOR ALL: Linux driver
for EEPRO & 3COM (and I think for DEC too) are bogus! The problem
(I think) are RESTART Linux Network queues after restart NIC from
a timeout error. Obviously this problem don't are apreciated for all:
if all of yours NICs & Hubs are likely then standard functions work well,
but in other case...

I don't make a modification in source driver because I can't understen
all functionality of the driver. Only I make this suggestion.

> Regards
For you too.

D.S.