[vortex] Pb with wake on lan and linux 2.2.16

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:59:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Fabien Salvi wrote:

> > I am using wake on lan functionnality with a 3com 905b.
> > It was working well on a linux 2.2.13, 2.2.14
> > But, with the linux 2.2.16 (with the same configuration file), it
> > doesn't work.
> > Is someone has the same troubles ?
>
> Well. I had understood why I have this problem :
> In the old linux kernel, I replace the original 3c59x.c by the v0.99L
> version.
> If I put this version, wake on lan works well.
>
> But the 3c59x driver supplied with the 2.2.16 kernel is based on the
> v0.99H version.
> Why ?

It's a long, sad story.
You should ask Linus why the old driver is still being used, when there have
been many important updates since then.

> I've tried to use the last version (v0.99Q), but it doesn't compile :
> 3c59x.c:2157: `DRV_ATTACH' undeclared (first use this function)

This is defined in pci-scan.h.  Verify that you have a recent copy.
  ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/pci-scan.h

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403