[vortex] 3c900B-TPO Etherlink XL Card - Many Problems...

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:16:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Dave DellaCosta wrote:

> > Do you have in /etc/conf.modules
> > alias eth0 3c59x ?
> > When you compiled the kernel, did you specify 3c59x as a module or
> > in-kernel ?
> No (to answer a few questions at once...); I
> installed the driver as a integral part of
> the kernel initially, and then I tried to
> load the driver after I downloaded the new
> one and compiled it.  Neither worked...maybe
> I should try to re-compile the kernel without
> the in-kernel driver, and load the module...?

No, what I meant was: when you included your network driver in the kernel
compilation, did you say "Y" or "M" (which translates into being compiled
in the kernel "image" or being compiled as a module) ?

> 3c59x.c:v0.99H 27May00 Donald Becker
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
>
> -That's it; nothing else about it.

This is very bad! No driver should stop here... There should be some info
about card type and settings.

> In the meantime, I have tried to pass in
> arguments to the ethernet card, using lilo
> (ether=11,0,eth0).  Didn't work, nothing
> even showed up at boot time.  Just the same
> message as above, as always.

You can pass kernel parameters through lilo if the network driver is
compiled in-kernel (or in the kernel "image", I don't know how to express
this clearly). If you have the network driver compiled as module, you can
pass options through /etc/conf.modules or on the command line of
insmod/modprobe.
Anyway, it should not be necessary to pass options for detecting the
interface. Can you post the relevant part of /proc/pci ?

Sincerely,